Recently the American Academy of Pediatrics warned that children under 2 years of age should not spend any time in front of televisions, computers, or other “screens.” They stated that the time spent in front of these screens is not beneficial to young children in any way and prevents them from being involved in activities that are beneficial, such as interaction with other people. They go on to discourage putting televisions in children’s bedrooms. To this I give a resounding, “YES!” For years I have discouraged parents from putting televisions in their kids bedrooms for several reasons:
- Parents can not monitor what or when the children are watching.
- Children need to learn to fall asleep by self-soothing, not by watching television.
- Children and teens will watch more television if they have constant access to it.
- They don’t learn how to “share” the family television if they have one of their own.
- And this is one of the most important …Having children and teenagers come into the den to watch television forces them out of their room and into the family space. Parents and kids get to see each other and interact more often!