When was the last time you thought about taking care of your brain? Your limbic, or emotional brain is responsible for how you respond to stress. It is the part of your brain that controls your emotional responses, your mood, your memory, your sense of smell, your desire to eat or have sex. It is the brain center for your emotional wellness and that wellness is contingent upon your healthy limbic system. Below is a list of things you can do on a daily basis to keep your limbic system healthy and resilient.
- Get a massage
- Meditate, Pray, Do Yoga
- Listen to music
- Rock in a chair or hammock
- Spend time in nature
- Hug someone you love
- Use aromatherapy. Use lavender or chamomile for calming and citrus or mint for energy
- Pet or brush your dog or cat
- Take a bubble bath
- Socialize with a cheerful friend
- Eat a diet high in fruits, veggies, and whole grains
- Replace saturated fats with omega-3 fatty acids
- Seek counseling when necessary.
Do something today to take care of your limbic system. Let me know what you do!