There’s a lot of stress in our world right now! From the effects of the pandemic to the 2020 presidential election, many of us are feeling more tension than ever. For the next week I will introduce one step we can all take each day to reduce or at least more effectively manage this stress…
Step #1 TODAY GET OUTSIDE
Put down the phone, computer, and cut off the 24 hour news channel and walk out your front door. In our part of the country right now the weather is lovely and perfect for spending time outdoors. You’ll reap these benefits:
- Improved attention, cognition, and memory
- Reduced anxiety
- Spending 20-30 minutes outdoors in nature can significantly reduce cortisol levels (stress hormones).
- Improved sleep
- More emotional stability
- Exposure to natural light has shown to improve mood.
- Being in nature allows our brains to switch off!
- Calming nature sounds or outdoor silence can lower blood pressure and cortisol.
- Focusing on the outdoor space such as trees or other plants helps distract your mind from your negative thoughts!
So get outside today and help your body, mind, and spirit rejuvenate!