We are on Day 5 of our plan to reduce, or at least better manage our stress in a week! So far we have looked at…
Step #1 Get Outside
Step#2 Get Some Exercise
Step #3 Get Enough Sleep
Step#4 Reach Out and
Touch Call Someone
Today we look at STEP #5 PLAY!
We all know the importance of play in the lives of children, but after we become adults and take on the accompanying responsibilities, we often stop playing. That’s unfortunate because adults deserve the joy that comes along with play too! Play triggers endorphins which are the chemicals in our bodies that naturally make us feel good and therefore produces many life enhancing benefits including:
- Improves overall sense of well being
- Lifts mood and wards off depression
- Boosts energy and productivity
- Increases resilience
- Fuels creativity and cognitive health
- Improves problem solving
- Lowers risk of developing age related diseases
- Helps us live in the moment
- Makes us feel happier
- Improves relationships
- Is fun!
So what constitutes play? Play is anything you want to do and aren’t being forced to do. What feels like play to one person may not feel like play to someone else. Here are some examples of play for adults:
- Board games, card games, puzzles
- Telling jokes
- Playing a musical instrument
- Throwing a football with your kids
- Bike riding
- Playing a sport or exercising
- Throwing a frisbee with your dog
- Making art
Add your own ideas to the list!
When was the last time you played? Start today! It just may improve your ability to cope with stress and bring you more joy!